Thursday, August 10, 2006

Horner sighting

Saw Chris Horner riding around the 'hood today. Think he was trying to be incognito because he was wearing his Webcor giddyup. But he could not fool me, the protour officianado that I am. I would know that the beautiful bald pate and rosey cheeks anywhere. So I gave him a shout out as I drive by "Go Chris". He was nice enough to respond with a wave that I caught in my rear view mirror. Right on Chris, treating the fans with respect. I always see him on the same spot when he's in town. On Auburn-Folsom between Granite Bay and Folsom. He must just do endless loops around the lake or something.

***

That little creaking sound. I love my Specialized Tarmac, but it has been creaking all year. I've begged and pleaded in the shop and they always tell me something like... "I dunno, creaks are really hard to find. Probably in your pedals". But I've changed my pedals and it still creaks. I thought I had finally nailed it to the carbon fiber Specialized seat post. You know the one with the zertz insert. I shelled out today for an Easton. I was all fired up to get it on the rig and take it for a spin to hear that beautiful sound of... silence. Still creaking. @#% Well, maybe it's the saddle after all. Switch out the Selle San Marco for the Specialized Toupe. Still creaking. Double @#%.

***

Lieberman is showing what a truly self absorbed power monger he is by running independent. Your party has spoken Joe. Do the right and honorable thing and step out. If you do so, you may have a political revival in the future. If not, you'll be a pariah. If you're going to run independant, you may as well join the republican party. I'd have a little more respect for you if you did, but not much. What a donkey.

***

Three things I see that give me the urge to coach people with the following advice; "You're not in Star Trek", "This ain't the wild west", and "It was bad fashion in the 80's and it's bad fashion now". These people need to be saved from themselves. They'll look back one day and say what was I thinking? Am I right, or am I right?

5 comments:

Chico Cyclist said...

Oh no - this is not good. Now you got me thinking about that stupid creaking! It's gonna bug me until the answer is found.

Ron Castia said...

Sometimes creaks are the simplist of things and can even be the same on all frames from a manufacturer.
Our team bikes require the rear skewer to be tightened to certain tension or they will have you chasing a phantom BB creak. A teammate rebuilt his BB 3 times with no success. On a noon ride I told him to tighten his rear skewer. He thought I was complete idiot, but he did it anyway. 3 turns and the creak was gone.

Check your chain ring bolts, skewers, and even drop a little grease where the cables meet up to the guides.
Check your steer tube for cracks. If the steer tube is two peice with carbon bonded to metal, check the bond.

Johnny GoFast said...

Hey Dude-
Great to see the new post. Lots of content. 1st, raceclean has Horner doped. Next time you see him yell, "Dopers suck!" and see if he waves. 2nd, re-lube the place where the handlebars meet the stem. Sometimes the change in temperature changes the viscosity of lube used when assembling your bike. If it's been doing it for a while, this could be the solution. If it's not coming from the bars area, try the same trouble shoot with the affected area. Sometimes those noises have a way of throwing their voice around. 3rd, the elephant would welcome Joe. I remember the first official speech Gore gave after they combined on the ticket in 2000. Gore was going on about lord knows what to a bunch of Iowa farmers. Spending money on this and that, etc. The farmers were eating it up, but in the background, you could see a look of horror on Lieberman's face. As if to say, "I can't believe I signed on for this non-sense." Finally, I just went to the low socks in the gym. I noticed the other day that it's no longer cool to have socks that come up to your calfs. Where have I been? I make many fashion mistakes, but I am never on the trendy side of the curve. Anyone caught wearing the Bluetooth in my presence definitely gets the Uhura comparison. Happy squeak hunting.

nosajpalnud said...

I have a creak that comes and goes as well - it's not the pedals or seatpost and I think its the BB that might need to be tightened a bit

the other thing in addition to what Nome said could possibly be a frame crack - hopefully that is not the case!

nosajpalnud said...

re: Horner

I think he stays with Klasna up in Cool and sometimes rides from Cool down to the RR, RR, then back - thats like 120+

rumor has it that he's been clocked at 20 avg. out of the ravine on the Forest Hill side - sounds fast even for a top pro, but who knows