Wednesday, April 12, 2006

2006 Sea Otter

It's the grand daddy of Nor Cal racing, especially for the mountain bike set. My favorite Otters are the years when they had in-line skate and volley ball events. It was soo cool to see those in-line'ers come down the cork screw in their ski tucks at 30+ MPH.

The last 5 years or so, I've taken to getting the most out of my Otter by entering as many events as the schedule would allow. My triumph was finishing the road race, circuit, short track, and cross country all in one weekend . Wish the schedule would allow that every year.



This year we had a completely new XC course. It was an exciting , challenging course. With many days of rain prior to the event, the course was very muddy for the last third. The first 2 thirds were sandy and thus handled the water pretty well. At 38 miles, it was an epic event with many athletes resembling muddy catatonic zombies on the 2nd lap. I look forward to doing this course again when in future years when it's warm and dry. It would be fast.

In the next post I'll have 5 of my top 10 funky experiences from this year XC.

No comments: