Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I got 1 2

Apparently it's time to clean up the TT bikes and get them on display: Sassy throws down the Cervelo look'n all pro and stuff ... ok, I can't compete with that ... and Maverick-Lothar tosses in his Blu which also looks nice.

May I present to you this little number; "Blew-by-U", because every steed needs a name, but usually just referred to as "The Weapon". Ok, ok, I know it's not much to look at. It's more of a poor man's TT bike. But it's been good to me, delivering occasional visits to the podium.



I've been thinking/lusting/drooling/scheming of getting a new TT frame, especially every time I see these, but I can't quite bring myself to unload my wallet several times over for something I'll race 5 times a year. That's like 400 dollars per race. Especially when Blew-by-nobodyinparticular has been so good to me in the past.

"Blew" used to be my regular road racing rig, back when EVERYONE rode OCLV Treks. It was originally a forest green '94 5200 until I was lucky enough to bust the frame and get the '98 postal baby blue (never liked the color but they wouldn't give me the silver one). When it took a backseat to the new E5 S-works, since replaced by the new Tarsmack S-works, I figured I'd throw some cow horns and a less than stylish Profile stem at it for giggles. Then I bought a *real* custom TT bike on Craigslist for $900 from retired Ofoto rider, Devon Weeks. I couldn't use the frame because it was too big so I sold it for $700 but kept these old Zip 404s and rear disc. Voila, aero wheels for 2 bills. That's why we love Craig

The old disc on the back is too flexy to use on hills because it rubs the frame, but works fine on the flats like Sattley, Dunlap. Like I said, it's not much to brag about... but it's good to me, so I will anyway. Can't wait to dust off the cobwebs at Madera.

Photo credit: www.abbiorca.com, Pinole TTT 2005

4 comments:

Johnny GoFast said...

Um...how come your TT partner isn't wearing his aero helmet. It looks as if he is saying, "your gapping me."

Anonymous said...

Thats HOT!

Looks better than what I was riding until a few weeks ago when the McVelo came my way.

Love TT bikes, they are like 6" heels(on my gal not me, just in case anybody was wondering). Dont get used much but when they get pulled out its game time.

:)

ms

Lothar Glerbny said...

I think this is SEXY too.

nosajpalnud said...

yo griff - you moved the seat forward after that TT right? Lookin' like you're gonna rip it up.

your buddy needs to tape his helmet next time in lieu of aero helmet

think you might have been lucky to not be on the ride yesterday.....